Free half-hour consultation. If you aren’t sure you need the services of an independent college adviser (also called an independent educational consultant, or IEC), I can meet with you and your family to discuss how I might be of help.
Two Bridges College Consulting offers comprehensive college planning services for students and their families, matching students with colleges that are the best fit for them academically, socially, emotionally, and financially.
Scope of Services for Comprehensive Package
The consultant will:
- provide guidance throughout the application process
- assess the student’s strengths, areas for improvement, and academic/extracurricular profile
- provide access to AchieveWorks assessments of personality, intelligences, learning and productivity, and skills
- enroll the student in CustomCollegePlan, an online college-planning program
- help student explore potential careers and majors
- assist in selection of high school academic choices, extracurriculars, and meaningful summer activities
- provide the most current information about colleges
- explain and provide guidance through the college planning process, including discussion of standardized tests, application deadlines, financial aid
- support the student and family through the transition from high school to college
- clarify student’s priorities and requirements for his/her college experience
- help student understand the selection criteria of specific colleges or universities
- research and select appropriate schools to generate a long list of schools with appropriate fit and match
- compile a college list that fits the student academically, socially, emotionally, and financially, with schools ranging from those where the student has a high chance of admission to those that are more selective
- assist the family with planning college visits
- work with the student on application essays from brainstorming through final drafts
- explain how to navigate the financial aid network
- assess award letters
- assist with wait-list or appeals process, if necessary
- be a sounding board for making “The Decision”
- for students who need accommodations for learning differences or physical restrictions, facilitate communication with college’s office of disability services
The comprehensive package, encompassing all of the services above for $4000, includes face-to-face (when safe and feasible) or Zoom meetings, extensive consultant research, and unlimited email/phone consultations between meetings. In-person/Zoom sessions typically last 60 to 90 minutes. With the comprehensive package, consultant will remain “on call” for consultation throughout the student’s first year of college.
Karen can be consulted at $140 per hour, which can be rolled into the comprehensive package if family so chooses. This option is best for the student who needs help only with the college application essays. The time needed to compose an essay that is ready for submission varies greatly among students; therefore, there is no “essay package.”
The list-development package includes assessing the student’s transcript, test scores, extracurricular activities, and interests to develop a list of colleges that fit the student academically, socially, and emotionally. It does not cover the AchieveWorks assessments. The student must be available for multiple meetings of approximately 60 – 90 minutes each. Consultant will research extensively on her own time to provide an initial list of 14 – 20 schools. She will then teach the student how to research these schools in order to whittle down the list to 7 to 10 schools the student would be happy to attend. Consultant will walk the student through researching four or five schools; the student will research the remaining initial list independently. Student and consultant will meet to discuss the research and to prepare presentation of final choices to family. In the final meeting, student will present the final list of colleges to the family.
The cost of the $1500 list-development package can be rolled into the comprehensive package if family so chooses.